ny/nj cookingclub

Monday, March 19, 2007

March 25th Club Meet: Literary Recipes

our next club meets Sunday, March 25th at sara's in Astoria, btw. 6:30/7 pm is the start time. Directions will be emailed on the Friday before. The theme is Literary Recipes.

Those in search of inspiration or in need of a recipe, I own "The Book Club Cook Book" . If any of you would like a recipe and book name from this book, comment here and I will add the book name and recipe to this post.

I had a thought -- I think if possible, we shoud bring a copy of the book along with the dish (if we own one) so that we can discuss why we each chose the book and made the accompanying dish etc... I think it would be a great way to at least get to know one another a little better.

That's all for this post for now.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Tara Dairman said...

As of now, my plan is to make some samosas (from The Namesake) and treacle tart (Harry Potter's favorite dessert). See you Sunday!

9:48 AM  
Blogger souschef said...

I haven't decided myself yet but I think I def. might make Blanc Mange from The Canterbury Tails . seeing as that is a dessert I'm going to make something else of course, and prolly from the cook book, since I went to the trouble of buying it.

12:18 PM  
Blogger erinmick said...

drat- was thinking dessert from lucky jim, but I see two desserts. Can anybody think of an iranian or persian book? It's iranian new year and I've never properly done tadiiq and wanted to try- but something needs to be with the tadiiq and it also needs to be in a book. I feel I am putting the cart rather before the horse.

10:19 AM  
Blogger sara d. reiss said...

The Book Club Cookbook has a few south asian, Jordanian and Indian recipes from books like Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz. Not exactly what you were searching for. However, we can have an Iranian/Persian themed club meet and you can make a different recipe that relates to a book for this meet. That way you can make tadiiq and not worry about horses and carts and books.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Tara Dairman said...

Reading Lolita in Tehran--I haven't read it, but assume it is set in Iran?

Also, I don't have to make treacle tart...

2:26 PM  
Blogger Katie Davis said...

I'm going to make something Laura Ingalls Wilderish. But I'm still acquiring recipes. I'll look for something main-dish-like.

7:50 PM  
Blogger sara d. reiss said...

ok, that's it, since when was there ever "too much" dessert? pfft. I'll make more foody type foods. I'm not even sure Blanc Mange is edible so my dessert, or rather G's dessert, might not count.

oh and the reason I didn't mention Reading Lolita in Tehran is that the recipe they attach to the book is for cake. Erin, I can give you the recipe if you just want to cook SOMETHING Iranian and well, make more dessert.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home